Snacking isn’t something that’s necessary or even usual on the paleo diet, since paleo meals are so satisfying. It’s not uncommon for paleo diet devotees to stick to three meals a day – or even less – without any effort, and without the need to reach for a snack.
But neither is it something to be feared. In fact, it’s always a good idea to have an arsenal of snack ideas to hand, just in case of unexpected disruptions to your eating plans. Then, if your meal is delayed, or you have to grab something before rushing off to an urgent appointment, you’re not left thinking “what will I eat?”
I’ve gathered together some options for you here – you may want to consider bookmarking this blog post for ease of reference, next time the urge for a paleo snack attacks!
Basic Paleo Snacks
Mark Sisson describes the following as “snack staples” in his excellent cookbook Quick & Easy Meals:
- Canned sardines and salmon (I like mackerel, too)
- Smoked salmon
- Leftover cooked meat
- Cold shrimp
- Full-fat Greek yogurt
- Fresh berries (you can add cream if you tolerate dairy)
- Fresh veggies dipped in salsa or guacamole
- Nuts and nut butters
- Pork rinds
Others that I personally favour include:
- Hard-boiled eggs or leftover wedges of omelette
- A few swigs of coconut milk (sometimes accompanied by a spoonful of coconut oil)
- An occasional slice of raw cheese (again, if you tolerate dairy)
- A few squares of very dark chocolate. Of course, some would consider this not strictly paleo, but as far as I’m concerned, life without regular helpings of good-quality dark chocolate is just too bleak to contemplate.
Snacking On Meals
Robb Wolf of Paleo Solution fame has some advice on snacking (in short – avoid it unless necessary, and when you do it, eat the foods you eat at mealtimes):
Paleo Snack Recipes
There are some terrific paleo snack recipes gathered together in various places online. Here are some of my favourites – these are well worth a visit:
- Mark Sisson provides a range of paleo alternatives for non-paleo snacks. Includes recipes for Veggie Chips, Trail Mix, Blueberry Candies, and Fruit Roll-ups.
- Paleo snack ideas from the aptly-named Paleo Snack Ideas. Includes recipes for Mint and Parsley Pesto, Broccoli and Pine Nut Soup, and Coconut Ice Cream.
- Paleo Diet Lifestyle tempts us with a range of delicious snack ideas. Includes recipes for Macadamia Nut Hummus, Baba Ghanoush, Deviled Eggs, and…wait for it…Chocolate-Covered Bacon!
What are your favourite paleo snacks? Please share and spread the good word about snacks that can help rather than hinder the journey to health. And please share this article on Facebook and Twitter so your paleo pals can benefit from great snack ideas too…